Important Date

Please mark this date in your calendar:

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Why?

Sixties Scoop Hearing in Toronto at the Osgoode Hall Court House

Please check in for further information as to the precise location of the Courtroom, and details of community events to honour the first case in the western world about:

Cultural genocide
Who is responsible when Nations’ children lose their identity?

Advertisements

About Sixties Scoop Lawsuit

The purpose of this site is to notify individuals directly or indirectly affected by the Sixties Scoop that they may register and possibly join in the class action lawsuit that is effectively proceeding against the Canadian Government. (October 2010) Please bookmark this site for further updates and registration information. Thank you.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Important Date

1. Dwayne Steiner says:

Interesting

2. Wesley Bone says:

How do I become enrolled in the “class action 60’s Scoop. I’am Treaty, living on reserve in Manitoba.

3. Rene Morningchild says:

Hello good day I am a man frm the sixties scoop I live in Edmonton but frm Saskatchewan can u tell me if the lawsuit is for everyone is involved or can u direct me to who I can contact in my area that knows more information please n thx…

4. Reginald Davis says:

So let me get this right this is only if I’m got abducted, in Ontario. So all the other natives aren’t good enough to be included.in this I think there is a lot more out there than in Ontario. I’m from Manitoba so I guess once again even my own people’s aren’t good good enough unless I got all this abuse done to me in Ontario. That’s what I would have expected from this messed up country

• pamela says:

Settle down. There are lawsuits you can hop onto in almost every province. Read a little before you lose your temper.

5. Hi, I w sent to Nova Scotia School for Girls fro 1982-1983. The school was closed due to abuse and neglect done to al of us girls forced by the court to live under such conditions. I was not registered native, so what about the white people, How do I get compensated for the abuse and neglect I had suffered

6. I was placed in various foster homes and am inquiring about this claim and had phoned Merchant Law in Saskatoon a year ago, but never received a response to this day. I was apprehended by Social Services and Indian Affairs. I had found my file at one time when I was taking a course in Aboriginal Peacekeeping, but was told not to look into it at the time. It was under Eileen J Mooswa vs. Regina…….

7. Jeanie Red Eagle says:

Did anyone imagine taking on this journey would be anything like this? I had preconceived notions of feeling empowered and become a force to be reckoned with by the mere filling of a few boxes of information. Reality smacked my idealistic rose colored glasses off and I settled into the hurry up and wait area of life. What better time to begin saturating my mind with all info relating to our adoptions. Hello Google! I lost track of time.. Weeks.. Months.. Even now I’m cluess as to when I started researching and how long until….Information overload!!!
    The inner recesses of my mind became waterlogged. The neatly arranged filing system of early childhood trauma and recurring life tragedies, cleverly compartmentalized, burst open demanding focus and attention.

I did not imagine taking on this journey would be anything like this. But this is my road. Compartmentalizing life’s overwhelming and emotional events is a useful coping skill when you’re not at the place to deal with the stresses of addressing deep issues. I disconnected from the mothership. Goodbye Google, clear my area, pack the books but keep the pen and paper close by… and take a look into the mirror. My attention required my attention. AHGH, but the mirror is only a reflection of the surface. It’s the beginning of an epic story. To help me along this uncharted territory i choose the tool of self reflection. It’s gazing deeper and beyond the image in the mirror. It’s the far and distant familiar picture of where it all began. The world I entered was violent and unforgiving. That’s the nature of my beginnings, plain and simple. My first nine years were a struggle to stay alive..
    obviously, I lived. I had help. I was protected. No matter how raw and brutal my story is, it’s a testiment to the resilient nature of the spirit, in ALL humanity.
    Those were years of reoccurring childhood trauma.
    Children’s Aid of Manitoba apprehended me from the hospital. One month later I was removed, adopted out, and no longer their problem.
    All the abuse I experienced, all the trauma I endured, the violence I witnessed and unbearable acts inflicted upon the only four people I loved were never brought up. I was a strong little girl to have survived all that, but apparently, I wasn’t worth anyone’s time it would take to ask me how I felt. I wasn’t worth fixing. This is the place in the telling of my story when I have to pause and reign in my emotions. Anger, when left unchecked takes on a life it’s own and I’m not able to see anything beyond it. The phrase best befitting to describe how I feel about being blatantly disregarded by the system is; this is righteous anger and indignation.. It’s not abusing anger or manipulating facts to conjure anger.
    It’s justly expressed because I’m confronting an unmistakable injustice.

The likelihood we will receive any sizeable monetary sum seems elusive and far fetched.. For myself I’m considering an additional plan of action so that I can have a sense of control and play an active part in what I feel will help me heal.
    Our unique perspective (masked by the memories of painful traumatic events) is our innate knowledge we missed out on something that could have possibly filled our longing emptiness surrounding our youth.. I understand how compensation would allow for opportunities to heal. I get that! But I also get the possibility it will take a very long time before the decision is finalized. We are driven by our longing to be healed..we will go to extreme lengths to take hold what was denied us. This legal process is difficult. What it brings out from within us can be overwhelming. But we continue because the end sight is healing in the form of vindication and compensation. Here’s my idea to move forward along one portion of my healing journey. For myself, I’m becoming aware of the vast amount of knowledge I can learn from so people living in my community. All I need to do.. is ask! Humbly and respectfully I approach a member, and I speak MY truth, I speak OUR truth.. The fact is, when we were removed and adopted away, we weren’t the only ones disconnected from our family and community; everyone there, our family and ALL the members of our community were disconnected from US! Everyone lost! We weren’t able to learn the lessons of our culture. Admitingly, I’ve googled “how to..” info on all things aboriginal related on occasion, rather than display my ignorance. Taking this perspective allows me to gain knowledge in its authenticity while nurturing my sense of self.
    But we returned, yes, many of us are fractured and can’t see past the memories of our painful experiences. The overwhelming need to heal is in all of us.. as evident from the numbers joining these class action law suits and just as many inquiring how they too may join. Compensation will allow for healing, I get that. At the same time, we can become proactive and engage with those who we live amongst. In our attempts to find our place within our community, our different frame of reference, only serves to remind us and them, we can’t relate to those who we are related to. Blame and guilt have no place in regards to that. Well, you might ask, Then what? How do we make sense of that and not become angry of the predicament our situations (adoptions) led us?
    Perhaps by veiwing our predicament as us having a special and unique perspective. Seek out people who can teach their craft. I missed out learning the trap line. I was too young for my father to teach me how to set up a snare. My sister, two years older, has survival skills enabeling her to provide herself sustenance if left alone deep in the bush. Now THAT is on my, “need to know how to do” list!
    It’ll be challenging to learn but I am a willing learner! It becomes a question of who do you want to learn from and are they willing to teach you? My sis doesn’t know it yet, but I want her to teach me and she WILL be willing to teach…😊 Allow yourself to become aware of a persons talents. Don’t overlook the more unlikely individuals. You’ll be amazed with what you’ll gain when pausing to listen, watch and learn while people share their unique talents that bring them happiness. Are you able to envision what can come of engaging your fellow family and community?
    Not only do we learn what we weren’t taught… The knowledge we learn begins to take hold.. WE CONNECT!
    Those who are teaching us recognize they are connecting with you also.
    EVERYONE WINS!
    There’s one more added element in play occurring as you learn long lost lessons and while connections are becoming established between yourself and your community. How many articles and titles have you seen, or heard people say, “the old ways are disappearing because this young generation doesn’t want to learn.”

We are the solution to that problem.
    We are the generation who wants to learn! So you go to an Elder, or two, or ten! Tell them you were removed, tell them you weren’t taught.. and then say this..”Please, teach me one thing. I don’t want to take too much of your time or your energy. I want to be able to tell people, (***) taught me how to do this.
    (I suggest you also do a favour in return for the time they’ve spent and as a show of gratitude for the knowledge imparted)
    I’m only sharing what works for me. Our struggles are difficult, and sometimes there doesn’t seem to be a solution. For myself, I can attest, if I’m honestly willing to be open to learn the truth in the lesson of the experiences presented to me, the answer comes quickly and its a moment in time when I have a clear understanding we ALL have the inner strength to have endured the tramatic events of our childhood.
    What we struggle with through adulthood is the painful memories associated to the traumatic childhood events.