Canada is 150 years old – Canada’s only Sixties Scoop certified class action is 8 years old and:

Decision Thursday, February 16th 

The Honourable Justice Edward Belobaba of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice has advised that the target date for the release of His Honour’s decision is Thursday, February 16, 2017.

At stake is Plaintiff Marcia Martel (Brown’s) motion for a summary judgement determination that Canada breached its lawful duties to indigenous children. Also at stake is Canada’s 8th request for her action to be dismissed.

Whatever the Minister said in her press release, Canada’s lawyers continue to litigate. Their latest litigation step was to discredit the evidence of 95-year-old former Chief Wilmer Nadjiwon of the Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nations.

The Minister’s lawyers did this, even after they walked away from the opportunity to cross-examine the former Chief. Special arrangements, approved by the Court, had been made for him to be questioned via video-conferencing because of his frail health. The former Chief was prepared for his evidence to be tested as to its truth.

If you would like to read the February 1st, 2017 Media Release of Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs, click here.

If you would like to read what her lawyers said when they argued in the Superior Court of Justice on February 2nd, to throw out the evidence of former Chief Nadjiwon and former Band Councillor Jones, click here.

If you would like to read what the Plaintiff’s lawyers argued in response to Canada’s argument on February 2nd, click here.

In Canada, only the Ontario case has been certified.

Only the Ontario case is on the eve of a judge’s determination to decide whether what took place was something that, in law, should not have taken place. Canada’s lawyers have argued over the last 8 years that what took place was not lawfully wrong, and 8 times – yes, 8 times – they have asked for it to be thrown out or dismissed.

That is how we understand the matter, and that is why we respectfully do not understand how the Minister can say what she said on February 1st, 2017 in the House of Commons.

We ask all of our sisters and brothers to join with us, to stand firm and not give up the opportunity of a judicial decision that holds our government responsible for the wrong that was done. Do not compromise on your entitlement to an honest ruling from the Courts.

Meegwetch

– Ontario Sixties Scoop Steering Committee

 

Advertisements

About Sixties Scoop Lawsuit

The purpose of this site is to notify individuals directly or indirectly affected by the Sixties Scoop that they may register and possibly join in the class action lawsuit that is effectively proceeding against the Canadian Government. (October 2010) Please bookmark this site for further updates and registration information. Thank you.
Aside | This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Canada is 150 years old – Canada’s only Sixties Scoop certified class action is 8 years old and:

  1. Mary Ellen Zupanski says:

    Meegwetch

  2. Sharon says:

    The government keeps putting things off while many aboriginal ppl have suffered genocide, abuse physical and mental. Loss of cultural identity which in turn reflects self esteem a sense of belonging and loss of family contact. Many of the ppl have ended up in prisons, on a suicidal path a sense of hopelessness and a loss of self worth. Shame on the Canadian Government!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s